Friday, August 10, 2007

You see who you're real friends are...

It is in times of trouble that you see who you're real friends are.

John Howard ain't one of them. After all, he's the man who will gladly say sorry for interest rate rises but still will refuse to say sorry to the Stolen Generations.

But this man, who isn't even an Australian citizen, is looking very much like he is.


- picture from stuff.com.nz

Mr Hone Harawira is a Maori MP who recently visited the Northern Territory after being invited by a few Aboriginal organisations. He is also the man that recently called Howard a "racist bastard" for his charge in attitude into NT Aboriginal communities.

He has come under fire for going on the trip in his home land and apparently the Clerk's office is looking into it, despite him saying he "doesn't give a stuff" about whether they'll dock his pay.

It's just good to know that our Indigenous brothers and sisters over seas have got our backs. And it's good to know that when we are in dire trouble of racist and draconian legislation passing the Senate, we not only have their support, but are able to come together as one to protest.

We see the strength of our real leaders are - for example - Pat Turner - who is more than willing to stand up to idiots like Bill Heffernan and the whole white washed parliament for that matter.

We see the strength of our Aboriginal women and our Aboriginal men - the latter of who have taken a savage beating from the media - in particular ABC TV - over our supposed "culture of denial".

But we also see the bad points.

We are able to see the real truth of the uncaring, power driven members of Parliament in an election year.

We are able to see how our national media takes their own line, regardless of the cries of the majority of the ABoriginal community. We are able to see how they continue to quote Aboriginal "leaders" who only serve to strengthen their own leanings.

We are able to see how White Australia responds to a crisis that has been bubbling under the surface for decades. We are able to see their paternalistic solutions and their continual drive for white superiority and assimilation.

We are able to see how our lives and livlihoods are continually held in white hands.

And we are able to see that nothing has changed since the days of colonialization, since the days of the reserves, of stolen wages and stolen children.

It saddens me that Labor is playing wedge politics and is not responding to legislation that is seriously going to undermine Aboriginal land right, and rights in general, in the NT.

We have got Aboriginal leaders who are outspoken and are protesting. These aren't loonies who are trying to cover up for Aboriginal men. These are smart, educated, amazing people like Pat Turner, John Ah Kit, Pat Dodson, Tom Calma and Jackie Huggins.

How can they not listen to their voices??

7 Comments:

Blogger Olyal said...

Amy! Good to have you back!
You raise some very valid points and all I can really say about your post is that John Winston Howard is a dick and his government's policies towards indigenous Australians and Pacific islanders suck dogs balls. :o)

August 10, 2007 at 10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi my favorite journalist ;)
saw the movie 'ten canoes'... liked it... it is real different...
Also saw 'bury my heart at wounded knee' - supposed to be a realistic presentation of Native American history (the sioux to be exact)... one of the dialogs in the second movie goes like "we are no different from you since you were conquering and wiping out each other even before we arrived here..." ... as if to say it is all natural... war and colonization etc...

every one has to do what everyone has to do?

AS for me, I firmly believe against oppression...

Hope you are doing fine.

August 13, 2007 at 2:11 AM  
Blogger princessjo1988 said...

Hiya Amy,

Yes indeed, long time no hear!!

What an interesting post! I must say I agree with you regarding JH as well as his so called plan.

I am supportive of the idea of coming up with a solution for these long running abuse problems in Aboriginal communities. But it seems to me, it extremely unfair the way JH has forced his solution on to the communities without talking to community members first. As well, what about all the other abused children out there? It's not just Aboriginals who are being abused. Isn't strange it's one solution for the Aboriginal people yet those same measures don't apply to the rest of us? Kinda continuing that cycle of bias against the Aboriginals it would seem.

I am sorry, but the Australian government has alot to answer for in this "abuse" arena. For years it has been ignored: everywhere, no matter what race you are. Now they are trying to throw a blanket over the most evident part of it, whilst forgetting the fact that abuse is subtle and manipultive. Abuse is a lot bigger problem than just one area of society, and over reacting to that one section, is ignoring the rest. Something needs to be done, but is this the way? I think not. You need to look the societal expectations, and additionally, the way police react to abuse claims. I know for a fact, as a complainant myself and knowing many others, police don't have a clue when it comes to this issue. I don't know whats going on, but there is big problems in the system and JH ISN'T HELPING!!

JO!

August 13, 2007 at 2:01 PM  
Blogger GuNs said...

Miss Tohou [:-p]
Good to see you back in action though I am amused why you do not reply to comments any more.

In relation to this post, I don't know why but in the current era, none of the people who lead their countries seem to have an unquestionable credibility. Is it because only the lowest of scum enters politics at the ground level now?

-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs

August 13, 2007 at 8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I are happy Amy came back to her blog :-) Mr. Harawira looks a bit like my dad, so I like him already :-P. Actually, I've just looked him up on google and found out that, not only did he pay for his NT trip out of his own pocket, but he doesn't regret it nor fear the fines he'll apparently incur from visiting there. I like him more!! I've started writing my view on contemporary culture, I plan to send it to you when it's finished coz I think you'd appreciate it, it's about white supremacy and all that.

I believe that white society's dream of a society of unified races was a good one in theory but has been completely ****'d in execution because of white society's tendency towards self-importance and dominance. Consequently, white society (in my opinion) is responsible for most of the world's problems today. I'm getting more and more into race politics as I learn more about culture today in comparison to the culture of the past, I keep thinking that you'd be so proud. :-P

Keep up the good work, I enjoy learning about these kinds of things and your blog is my main source!!

August 15, 2007 at 10:43 AM  
Blogger The One said...

Hiw do I put in a custom background and banner like you have? Been trying to can't figure out how. Can you drop me a line on pisquare@gmail.com?

Thanks,

T.O

August 20, 2007 at 8:19 PM  
Blogger Pravin said...

I suppose being a minority sucks when the country does not represent your interests. Perhaps an Aboriginal person can enter politics and be voted into the parliament to represent your interests?

August 24, 2007 at 9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home