Stupid white missionaries
I know i shouldn't be so mean to missionaries but sometimes they just get me annoyed. Currently, there has been an influx of American "volunteers" and people intent on converting people to God in Vanuatu that it almost seems like the rich and selfish land grabbing expatriates are in the clear!
I know I know -they're intentions are all good but it's scary to think they may actually want to STAY in Vanuatu- meaning they will need to find somewhere to LIVE and will TAKE Indigenous land. I know it's a generalization but why don't people realize that just because land is there doesn't mean it's yours for the taking. Maybe i'm just sore from looking at Australia's theft of land and relunctance to give it back to the traditional owners. It all seems so simple to me. If you steal land than it is not yours and you must give it back. No one told the Australian government this.
But anyway, maybe i'm the one being selfish. Trying to keep Vanuatu to myself. But the thing that is really worrying me is the beginning of a upper white class. Seeing how rich white folks treat Indigenous people in Australia, I know what it would feel like to be a second class citizen in your own country!
Note not all expatriates or white people are like this. But there are certainly alot who are and these are the few who make me mad.
It all stems from this comment i saw in this christian "YOUTH WITH A MISSION" blog talkign about their Vanuatu team they sent over to minister to the savages. They were talking about the people at Blacksands and said they had an angry spirit and "inferior pride". What just because they ain't white and don't follow your particular beliefs? It just got me very mad that people could still be like those old mission managers on the reserves.
But onto good things - the reason i have been thinking about Vanuatu lately is because I went and saw my dad in Sydney for his birthday and as his birthday present, my Uncle Simil - Man Tanna! - came along to! Mum did such a great job on dad's birthday! We spent the whole weekend together - just my dad, Uncle Simil and me - we went and watched a soccer game (Australia vs Uruguay) and went up to the Blue Mountains to visit dad's old army friends.
It was such a great weekend and I think my dad absolutely adored it! We both haven't seen Uncle Simil for maybe a year so it was a treat for both of us! My dad also worked out a simple family tree for me and I found out I have Solomon Islander heritage as well! It was awesome! But of all the things dad is - i think he is predominately Man Tanna and he's very proud of this as am I! Because no one ever better mess with Man Tanna!
We also learnt alot about Australian multiculturalism and how idiotic Anglo loving John Howard is. On our entire weekend - the only white Australian stranger we conversed with was a completely racist fool. I have never felt so belittled. I have never been the victim of racism before mainly because I am very fair skinned and so can pass as a white girl. But this man completely spoke down to me, Uncle Simil and dad. I saw this Polynesian fella just glaring at him. All we asked him was a simple question and he just acted like a controlling mission manager. I nearly felt like crying. And Uncle Simil was saying he coudln't stop thinking about it. Dad was the only one who wasn't effected by him and dad said it was because, growing up in racist, regional Queensland, he was used to it.
So yes - i learnt alot from this one single weekend. I'm glad I have a white mother -just because her presence stops me from being any more bitter than I am already. I have many beautiful non-Indigenous and non-South Sea friends but sometimes you can have just one experience that can make you completely bitter towards them.It just shows you how far we have to come to advance reconciliation. A bridge walk just ain't gonna cut it.
I know I know -they're intentions are all good but it's scary to think they may actually want to STAY in Vanuatu- meaning they will need to find somewhere to LIVE and will TAKE Indigenous land. I know it's a generalization but why don't people realize that just because land is there doesn't mean it's yours for the taking. Maybe i'm just sore from looking at Australia's theft of land and relunctance to give it back to the traditional owners. It all seems so simple to me. If you steal land than it is not yours and you must give it back. No one told the Australian government this.
But anyway, maybe i'm the one being selfish. Trying to keep Vanuatu to myself. But the thing that is really worrying me is the beginning of a upper white class. Seeing how rich white folks treat Indigenous people in Australia, I know what it would feel like to be a second class citizen in your own country!
Note not all expatriates or white people are like this. But there are certainly alot who are and these are the few who make me mad.
It all stems from this comment i saw in this christian "YOUTH WITH A MISSION" blog talkign about their Vanuatu team they sent over to minister to the savages. They were talking about the people at Blacksands and said they had an angry spirit and "inferior pride". What just because they ain't white and don't follow your particular beliefs? It just got me very mad that people could still be like those old mission managers on the reserves.
But onto good things - the reason i have been thinking about Vanuatu lately is because I went and saw my dad in Sydney for his birthday and as his birthday present, my Uncle Simil - Man Tanna! - came along to! Mum did such a great job on dad's birthday! We spent the whole weekend together - just my dad, Uncle Simil and me - we went and watched a soccer game (Australia vs Uruguay) and went up to the Blue Mountains to visit dad's old army friends.
It was such a great weekend and I think my dad absolutely adored it! We both haven't seen Uncle Simil for maybe a year so it was a treat for both of us! My dad also worked out a simple family tree for me and I found out I have Solomon Islander heritage as well! It was awesome! But of all the things dad is - i think he is predominately Man Tanna and he's very proud of this as am I! Because no one ever better mess with Man Tanna!
We also learnt alot about Australian multiculturalism and how idiotic Anglo loving John Howard is. On our entire weekend - the only white Australian stranger we conversed with was a completely racist fool. I have never felt so belittled. I have never been the victim of racism before mainly because I am very fair skinned and so can pass as a white girl. But this man completely spoke down to me, Uncle Simil and dad. I saw this Polynesian fella just glaring at him. All we asked him was a simple question and he just acted like a controlling mission manager. I nearly felt like crying. And Uncle Simil was saying he coudln't stop thinking about it. Dad was the only one who wasn't effected by him and dad said it was because, growing up in racist, regional Queensland, he was used to it.
So yes - i learnt alot from this one single weekend. I'm glad I have a white mother -just because her presence stops me from being any more bitter than I am already. I have many beautiful non-Indigenous and non-South Sea friends but sometimes you can have just one experience that can make you completely bitter towards them.It just shows you how far we have to come to advance reconciliation. A bridge walk just ain't gonna cut it.


10 Comments:
During my last vacation to India, I actually came across foreign missionaries who were offering money and goodies to anyone who were willing to convert.
There people told me how the missionaries even took some food back when none were ready to convert.
I am not against conversion but forcing someone to convert or tricking someone to convert does not look Godly.
Nice blog post, Lidia.
Hi Amy,
It is very hard to understand (digest) some of the things done in the name of God and civilization and color(??!!)... any action taken to bring someone to "their own level" of sophistication is questionable isn't it? who is worthy to decide that someone is inferior or uncivilized or any such thing?...
propaganda and what not... what is the point ? where is the basic human decency? what bugs me more sometimes is that people try to prove to their oppressors that they are equals.... or that they are 'also' sophisticated... I say, Don't bother! Just be whatever you are!
:(
It is irritating to see this over and over and over...
I dont know! I have never been too keen on missionaries as such. There are some great ones out there but there are also some really bad ones. My personal belief is that one should have the flexability to believe whatever they want as long as it isn't hurting anyone.
I wanted to go overseas and work in orphanages when I was younger and it is still something I would like to do one day. But going over for the sole purpose to missionize? Can't say I am a big fan!!
Jo
Hi Mrs. Dark-Hair Face,
I don't know very much about missionaries, except for a book I read about a woman who was a missionary in the South American jungles. :-P It's an interesting concern you have about Vanuatu, but it's ok, it's your Vanuatu so it's only natural you'd want to protect it. ;-P
I do, however, know quite a bit about the Blue Mountains; Jeremy took my hiking through the bushland last year. It was all very picturesque and we found a secret pond-type place. I'm glad you enjoyed hanging with your dad and your uncle and I'm sorry for the encounter with the racist guy. I'm all for free speech and the idea that everybody can have an opinion without fear of repression, but I don't understand where people get off attacking strangers just on visual assessment if you get my drift. :-S It's all mental.
Talk to you soon!
Amy,
I can't say how cross those people make me!
There are very few places in Vanuatu that the missionaries haven't touched. I was working in a community on Central Pentecost which, until two weeks before I got there, didn't have a road running through it. Without the road it was a 3 hour "walk" (i.e. trek through hilly, rough bush) to the coast. The community that I was living in had churches of 3 different denominations in it!
As for shitty expats and racist people, while not all expats are like that, I don't like to mix with them here is Vila as some of them often seem to look down their noses at my relationship with Ben. I don't want to hang out with people who don't regard my partner as being equal.
You've got my blood boiling now!
Sorry to hear some tool treated you guys badly in the Blue Mountains. It kinda makes me wonder how Ben would be treated if he came to Aus...
Hope you're looking after yourself!
Amy,
Sorry you encountered the racist person.
I have experience with missionaries specifically Mormon missionaries. Actually I found this quite interesting because I wrote an essay for class about the civilising mission and how religion and missionaries were used as a way to justify colonialism
Hey Amy, I'm visiting your blog after a long time and felt so refreshed reading things from Australia... I do feel the same to the fact that White people (not all) have this strange sense of superiority complex... it could be perhaps coz of their imperialist past or coz of their techonogical advancement... but on an emotional level I find many westerners kids. Life is so Black and White for them. I guess thats one of the reasons for the high rate of divorces in countries of western civilization. If it fits well it works and just a lil here and there, its a split. While being a stuanch support of personal freedom and freedom of speech, I hate the philosophy of use-and-throw when it comes to human beings. People keep looking for that perfect fit then they fall for a person who is exactly the opposite and then divorce them coz "he's different" or "we don't fit" kindda answer. Without understanding that once created a relationship cannot be dumped just like that. After all we are humans not some chinese made computer hardware. :)
Hey Amy, I found your blog a while ago, and I really enjoy reading it!
Racism and stereotypes fly in all directions, and they're always bad. I've heard people of all different colours, and from all over the world, express very racist views. This includes South Sea islanders - some of the WORST racism towards Aboriginal people I've ever heard has been from South Sea islanders.
You're right - walking across a bridge won't cut it. Getting over skin colour and seeing people for who they are is what we need to do.
There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points.
We should be proud whatever race we came from, what matter is we didn't do anything bad.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home