People are the same the world over....

This is what i got when i typed in federal budget into google...
In some ways, it is nice to know that Australian Aboriginal people are not alone in their fight to secure rights from a government that continually wants to back-pedal back to the days of Queensland's revered Joh Beijke Peterson.
But in other ways, it saddens me that governments can act so much the same - even with such an ocean between us.
That's why, it was with a heavy heart that I read of the plight of the First Nations in Canada - who this month only secured about $9 billion in the federal budget for a people who suffer under living conditions like that of a third world country (see any similarities between them and Australia? Australia only gave 1.5 per cent of the federal budget this past year to Indigenous people - it is estimated that there needs to be about $500 million more funding allocated to Indigenous health alone!)
Like Australian Indigenous people, Aboriginal people in Canada also suffer under second rate living standards, placing them at disadvantage in housing, health, education, employment and more.
So you would think, with such a crisis, the conservative government would allocate just a bit more to Aboriginal people????
If you thought that you would be wrong of course.
In 2005, the then Prime Minister Paul Martin, a member of the nation's Liberal party, pledged to spend a total of $5.1 billion over ten years on raising the standards of Aboriginal living. It was a deal called the Kelowna Accord.
The aim was to close the gap between non-Indigenous and Indigenous Canadians by 2016. It was passed as a private member's bill in the House of Commons. Aboriginal leaders hailed it as a step forward, with Assembly of First Nations Chief Phil Fontaine describing it as a breakthrough for his people.
""All of the targets we've set are achievable," Mr Fontaine told CTV. "We're driving this process and we're forcing government to respond to our plan."
But success was shortlived.
When the new PM, Steve Harper was elected and the conservatives took hold of the country, the Kelowna Accord was scrapped. The budget now aims to cut national debt and taxes but does not give a damn about Canada's first peoples.
Shouldn't the government at least be mildly concerned about paying back the debt they have against the Indigenous peoples of their country?
"Frankly, our people do not see any reason to believe that the government cares about the shameful conditions of First Nations," Phil Fontaine says in a statement.
"This federal budget goes far towards cutting taxes and paying down the national debt - but there is no mention of dealing with the huge debt to First Nations in the form of nearly 1,000 outstanding land claims."
"...Instead, we see billions of dollars in spending on everything from museum interns, to foreign workers, and to tax cuts benefiting the wealthiest in this country.
".... We have to show them that the $9.1 billion they repeat so often does not get to our communities. In fact, our governments have suffered under declining resources because of discriminatory fiscal treatment, and that our schools, our community centers, our essential community services, and our people are suffering as a result."
People think colonialism and thoughts on white superiority ended ages ago and do not affect us now. But it's exactly the opposite. Indigenous people all around the world are being squashed and beaten down. The rights of Indigenous people seem to be deteriorating on a daily basis.
Each federal budget (in Australia I'm thinking about) seems to prevent little light for Indigenous people. And with the mainstream media, and the general public, constantly spewing out the ideology that "oh...they get enough as it is", the problem becomes worse.
In Australia, I have a couple of friends who believe in the Pauline Hanson doctrine of "reverse racism". That is that white people in Australia are getting worse deals because they are not Aboriginal.
Hanson said this in her racist maiden speech:
"We now have a situation where a type of reverse racism is applied to mainstream Australians by those who promote political correctness and those who control the various taxpayer funded `industries' that flourish in our society servicing Aboriginals, multiculturalists and a host of other minority groups. In response to my call for equality for all Australians, the most noisy criticism came from the fat cats, bureaucrats and the do- gooders. They screamed the loudest because they stand to lose the most--their power, money and position, all funded by ordinary Australian taxpayers."
If this is reverse racism than I am a terrible racist.
I'm sorry but maybe if European Australians had had their land taken off them, had their children taken off them, had their wages taken off them, had their remains taken off them, suffered under some of the worst living conditions in the world, had the highest unemployment rate in Australia, died about 17 years younger than Aboriginal Australians, were suffering a cultural breakdown, were being exploited by unscrupulous art dealers, were being beaten to death in police custody, were being constantly stereotyped by the media as "petrol sniffers" and "wife beaters", were living in houses with 17 other people and still were only receiving about 3.3 billion in government funding (which is still underspent!) then yes maybe I would agree with reverse racism.
But until then I think the Canadian and Australian governments have to stop being such lazy, tight idiots and get their acts together.
Mr Prentice and Mr Brough...I know there aren't any votes in standing up for the Indigenous communities of the world but there's more to life than climbing up the greasy pole of politics.


14 Comments:
Hey Amy...you were supposed to come to India weren't you? What happened?
-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs
Whats happening in Australia and Canada happens all over the world. The rights of the indigenous people over the world have been trounced...
Infact in India, even if hadnt got our independance, I am sure we would still have been treated like second rate citizens in our country...
Lets face it, no community in the world can afford to sit back and wait to be granted equal status in the society...it has to be earned, snatched sometimes. Indigenous people must make sure that their representatives get adequate representation in the legislative bodies and are allocated equal resources.
They should strive to beome economically prosperous. Mao Zedong once said "Political Power flows from the barrel of the gun." While that may have been true once, nowadays political power flows out of your bank balance. Indigenous communties should manouver themselves to a position where the economy of the nation depends upon them.
Thanks for the great post. Like you, I must be a racist because I believe that Australian Aboriginals deserve treatment that is equal to or better than what us white fellas receive. By the way, have you seen ANTaR's campaign to achieve health equality for Indigenous Australians?
Amy,
First off I believe in equality.
Yes my ancestors are responsible for what happened to the Canadian First Nations, which I believe makes me responsible in some way.
I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for them of them. The life I enjoy today is dirrectly due to what the colonial people did to the First Nations from Canada.
But like it or not racism exsists both ways. First Nations back home in Canada were equally racist towards anglo Canadians. And I feel its automatically assumed because I am caucasian that I am a racist, which I am not.
Melissa
Who isnt a racist. As long as we all belong to some race, we r all racist.
Keshi.
Hi Guns! Haha- i'm coming in October!! I'll remember to drop off Huckleberry Finn at the Pune railway station ;) You'll have to bring me something by Rupert Kipling!
Hi Ganesh! I totally agree with everything you said! It just really saddens me that when steps are taken...the next government that is in power completely retraces them. It's so annoying and wrong and horrible and jsut...grr....you know? The Draft Declaration of the Rights of Indigenous Peoples was delayed again last year!! It has been in negotiation for 20 years and it was delayed again!!!!!! Why do we keep on delaying justice??????
It makes me so incredibly mad...
Hi priscilla! Yes! I knew about the Antar campaign and i think it's great - but i do also think there needs to be a step taken by the government! $500 million needed in Indigenous health and yet the budget surplus keeps rising every year? It doesn't make sense at all. Although Costello makes me laugh i hate his guts at the same time.
Hi Melissa! I know racism is two sided - but i was just making the point that people can't work behind the ideology that Indigenosu people already get too many benefits - because frankly they don't. When there is a water crisis on reserves, a health crisis, an education crisis, a land crisis....and then the Canadian government completely ignores it and only gives an extra $21 milliion....and for employment for goodness sakes...then that's when i think it's wrong! I wasn't trying to say you were racist but european people can't cry "reverse racism" in dealing with the ideology that indigenous people get too much. It's just simply not true.
Hi Keshi! I totally agree we are all racist and i think that's why steps need to be taken for equality. Equality can't be achieved when Indigenous peopel die earlier and are secondary on practically every single social status! But yes, i agree with you :)
Amy,
I wasn't suporting the "reverse racism." I was saying racism goes both ways!
And I agree with you on the fact that they are mistreated.
Melissa
Hi Amy!!
Yeah well I must confess I am one of those people that do believe Aboriginals do get better treatment IN CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES! Oftentimes they do not and I do agree with some of the statements you have made Amy!
However, it really annoys that Aboriginals have specific "help centres" and get specific grants. I am all for help where it is needed, but I don't think it should depend on which race you are. Because even though Aboriginals are doing it tough, what about the white families (and for that fact other races too), that are living on the streets? Least Aboriginals have a fighting chance to get housing (or more specifically govt housing; but in saying that I am quite aware the rental market is more difficult: but then that goes for if you are anglo saxon or aboriginal, chinese or indian).
And as descendant of a family who have had Aboriginals work for them for years I resent the fact you have just thrown a blanket cover over European Australians, my ancestors. Not all families were like that: we looked after and genuinely cared for the aboriginals that worked on our property. One of my ancestors actually had a aboriginal midwife whom she was quite close to and cared a lot about, as is evidenced by family letters and journals at the time! And we never took children away from their parents!
To be quite honest I was brought up in a quite unracial family. Yes I was taught that there were "bad" and "good" aboriginals, but I was also taught that there are "bad" and "good" Anglo saxons.
But on the other side, why don't many aborignal children go to school or their parents work? When I walk down my street and its a school day and see not just one or two aboriginals, but many, not at school what am I as a human being supposed to think? The same go for their parents! If they are not prepared to help themselves: why shouldn't I be mad? The same goes for anglo saxon families and I feel exactly the same way about them!
My question to you Amy is this: If we as the current generation keep on focusing on our ancestors hates and hurts, how on earth are we going to be equal? Because then it will always be race vs race. I know It wasn't fair that your ancestors had their land taken off them and their children too. But why still focus on it? I recognise it happened, but I don't see why I should be judged for it! I dont see why grants should be based on race, nor do I see why we have to put race down on forms.
To also add to this convo, I am not "pure" anglo saxon myself! I have either Indian or Polynesian ancestory (my family is not quite sure which). I don't class my self as Indian Australian, or Polynesian Australian or English Australian. I am just Australian, as it should be for anyone born in this country, regardless of race!
Jo
Hi Amy!!
Yeah well I must confess I am one of those people that do believe Aboriginals do get better treatment IN CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES! Oftentimes they do not and I do agree with some of the statements you have made Amy!
However, it really annoys that Aboriginals have specific "help centres" and get specific grants. I am all for help where it is needed, but I don't think it should depend on which race you are. Because even though Aboriginals are doing it tough, what about the white families (and for that fact other races too), that are living on the streets? Least Aboriginals have a fighting chance to get housing (or more specifically govt housing; but in saying that I am quite aware the rental market is more difficult: but then that goes for if you are anglo saxon or aboriginal, chinese or indian).
And as descendant of a family who have had Aboriginals work for them for years I resent the fact you have just thrown a blanket cover over European Australians, my ancestors. Not all families were like that: we looked after and genuinely cared for the aboriginals that worked on our property. One of my ancestors actually had a aboriginal midwife whom she was quite close to and cared a lot about, as is evidenced by family letters and journals at the time! And we never took children away from their parents!
To be quite honest I was brought up in a quite unracial family. Yes I was taught that there were "bad" and "good" aboriginals, but I was also taught that there are "bad" and "good" Anglo saxons.
But on the other side, why don't many aborignal children go to school or their parents work? When I walk down my street and its a school day and see not just one or two aboriginals, but many, not at school what am I as a human being supposed to think? The same go for their parents! If they are not prepared to help themselves: why shouldn't I be mad? The same goes for anglo saxon families and I feel exactly the same way about them!
My question to you Amy is this: If we as the current generation keep on focusing on our ancestors hates and hurts, how on earth are we going to be equal? Because then it will always be race vs race. I know It wasn't fair that your ancestors had their land taken off them and their children too. But why still focus on it? I recognise it happened, but I don't see why I should be judged for it! I dont see why grants should be based on race, nor do I see why we have to put race down on forms.
To also add to this convo, I am not "pure" anglo saxon myself! I have either Indian or Polynesian ancestory (my family is not quite sure which). I don't class my self as Indian Australian, or Polynesian Australian or English Australian. I am just Australian, as it should be for anyone born in this country, regardless of race!
Jo
Hi Melissa!
Yeah, I know you weren’t support reverse racism – I know your not racist otherwise why would you be friends with Chris and I? :P I was just referring to the people who think that there is a kind of reverse racism occurring where Aboriginal people receive greater benefits over others – I mean there’s nothing bad in it because I know there are Aboriginal people who are racist – but people who believe Aboriginal people get more over others aren’t informed on the reality of Aboriginal welfare!
Hi Jo!
First I want to say I really enjoy your long responses ☺ It’s good to have debates with people who actually take an interest in social issues- especially when we’re both young and both have a passion for social justice ☺ Hmm…this is going be long so I’ll try and start with the most important things first then I’ll go into detail about the facts. I’m really sorry if I unintentionally implied that your family is a racist family – like I said earlier in response to Keshi, I do think there is a certain amount of racism in everyone because we naturally treat people who aren’t like us as the “other” – which is wrong. And I know not all European Australians are the same – I am European as well as Aboriginal and Islander so I’m not going to turn my back on a whole part of my heritage. I also didn’t mean to imply that your family had any part in the stolen generations. I know that there have been people in the past who have been friends to Aboriginal people and have both given and earned the respect of Indigenous people.
I know that you are sorry for what has happened in the past to Aboriginal people and I know a lot of Australians feel this way. But what happened in the past is still happening today. Aboriginal people never have received better treatment than white Australians…even in certain circumstances. I can say this with certainty. Everyday I read of new ways the government is undermining Indigenous rights and everyday I read in the mainstream media about non-Indigenous Australian’s completely misinterpreting Indigenous affairs.
It’s complicated, but here is a breakdown of the reality behind some of the points you raised.
Housing: There’s no doubt that there is a housing crisis throughout Australia. Everyone is affected by it. But Aboriginal disadvantage in housing is by far on another scale to other Australians. Mal Brough just this year came out and said he was diverting Indigenous housing funding back to remote areas because he felt urban Aboriginal people could and should access mainstream housing and Indigenous housing corporations were mismanaging money . He said that he didn’t want to provide housing based on the colour of people’s skin. It sounds like a great idea and again he employed the ideology of “reverse racism” – don’t give it to the blackfellas just for being black. But the problem was – URBAN INDIGENOUS HOUSING CORPORATIONS DID NOT RECEIVE GOVERNMENT FUNDING ANYWAY. The majority of housing funding – the $300 million allocated in the budget for Indigenous housing –goes to remote communities, where 18% of Indigenous households are situated. And a majority of $300 million is not even enough to begin addressing the housing crisis in remote Aboriginal communities – where overcrowding is rife (17 people in one small two bedroom house) Back in 1999 – a report was published showing there was a $2.3 billion shortfall in capital works – needed to purchase building materials etc for infrastructure in Indigenous communities! When the total amount attributed to Indigenous affairs in the federal budget is usually only around $3.3 billion – then you know Indigenous people are being ripped off. Indigenous housing corporations DO NOT receive more than mainstream housing and most Aboriginal people are forced to apply for mainstream housing services anyway because there is no funding being given to urban Indigenous housing.
“Specific funding” and “help centres” : I’d probably have to know what ones your talking about but I’m going to use Abstudy as an example. A lot of non-Indigenous teenagers think it’s unfair that our mob are allowed to apply for Abstudy – but it is exactly the same as Austudy and youth allowance. In fact, Abstudy allowance has been decreasing in the past few years – meaning fewer Indigenous students are able to attend university, although federal education minister Julie Bishop begs to differ. In the past year, there has been a six percent decline in Indigenous participation in tertiary education. Aboriginal people just didn’t decide to drop out at the same time- there’s a reason! As for help centres – I’m going to use the example of the Community Development Employment Program (CDEP)– which many Australians see as another way Aboriginal people are given more….Employment minister Joe Hockey this year announced he was scrapping CDEP in some major regional centres – including Rocky. CDEP is an employment program where Indigenous people work for money in return for helping out in the community. It is flawed, but instead of scrapping it, the least the government could have done was to look for ways to improve it. CDEP used Indigenous centres to help Indigenous people get jobs but in the past couple of years – CDEP has become more mainstream and a lot of Indigenous people have to go through the Job Network –which is a mainstream organization. So really, Indigenous people aren’t receiving anything the ordinary Australian isn’t receiving in employment. AND YET, the unemployment rate amoung the Indigenous community is higher than the non-Indigenous community.
WHY?
I could take your line and say it’s because Aboriginal people sit on their butts all day long and let their children run wild instead of going to school.
But let me instead, tell you about the history of Aboriginal people – the most marginalized community in Australia, the most disadvantaged community in Australia and the most misrepresented and demonized community in Australia.
The people who say Aboriginal people should get on with their lives and forget the past are usually non-Indigenous people – who have no idea what Aboriginal people have gone through!
Aboriginal people were not even considered as citizens of Australia (EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE THE FIRST AND ORIGINAL TRUE AUSTRALIANS) until the 1960s.
Aboriginal people were placed on church-run and government missions and were forced to work for no wages at ALL. DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE IMPLICATIONS THIS HAS HAD ON THE INDIGENOUS COMMUNITY EVEN TODAY? How are you supposed to build a proper economic base and feed your children, send your children to school when you have no savings because they have been stolen from you? How are your children supposed to get by without an education and after growing up in poverty and racism? How are your children’s children going to get by when they are growing up in poverty because their parents couldn’t get a proper education and had no savings because their parents were forced into slavery by non-Indigenous Australians? And how would you feel when the state government in Queensland only gives you $4000 compensation for hard work completed by you for no money? There are still people alive who are fighting for their wages – Marjorie Woodrow – NSW’s leading stolen wages complainant – look up her story and see how hard she worked for no money.
Aboriginal people die on average 17 YEARS younger than non-Indigenous Australians! Why? Because there is a $500 million shortfall in Aboriginal health. Aboriginal people don’t make themselves sick you know. Aboriginal people have worse rates of health in practically every single field.. The precarious situation of Indigenous health is so bad that just this year the nation’s peak health body – the Australian Medical Association passed a vote of no confidence in the NT government because of failings in Indigenous health in the territory.
This entry is getting too long so I’m going to wrap up even though there are more failings to address….stolen remains, the stolen generations, again death in custody etc etc
But in brief…here is the answer to your question:
“If we as the current generation keep on focusing on our ancestors hates and hurts, how on earth are we going to be equal?”
Maybe if the crimes our ancestors committed wasn’t still being committed today, then maybe just maybe, Aboriginal people can stop focusing on the past. But as much as Australians don’t like to admit it – crimes are still being committed against Aboriginal people every single day. I find it amazing that the people who say Aboriginal people should just get over it, are usually non-Indigenous Australians with no knowledge on Aboriginal history. I will get over it when Aboriginal people stop being demonized in the media, when the Treasurer (whoever it should be after the federal election) injects much needed funding into the Indigenous Affairs budget (I’m thinking 6 billion), when ALL of the state governments pay back all those who have had their wages stolen in full, when Indigenous Australians have equal social statistics in health, employment, education, housing, poverty, suicid etc etc, when every museum around the world who has remains of Aboriginal people (usually stolen from graves) gives them back for proper burial and when the federal government finally says SORRY.
That is when I will stop worrying about the past.
If Aboriginal people forget the injustices, we are never going to receive equality. Reconciliation can never happen if Australians keep sweeping the dreadful human rights abuses that are occurring in our own backyards under the carpet.
Hey Amy! It's good to finally catch up on your recent posts! I am back but under a new name, come and check me out. I really have one thing to comment on, and that's on religion. I don't think it should be a constant conflict in our minds. We shouldn't worry if we're connected to the right group, and what side of every issue their on. Your religion is what brings gladness and peace to your heart, in whichever way is meaningful to you. In my case, I feel extremely close to God when I go to Catholic Mass. But I don't believe everything that every other catholic believes in.
personnaly, i thing the use of the "reverse racism" expression is wrong. "Anti-white racism" would actually be more appropriate.
Hi guys,
I think my post was mis-understood a teeny bit: go to my blog so that I can explain!
http://princessjo1988.blogspot.com/
To anyone I have offended I am sorry. It was not intended to be offensive!
Jo
Budget management is kind of same all over the world. To put in one sentence, Money is never used wisely. We can say this looking at the percentage of total allocation and by all means that would be quite high.
Talking of racism, I think I have to agree with Keshi that we all are racist. :) They say in few decades we all will be of one race(skin color wise). But there will remain the distinction between needy and rich for which we all should be fighting for.
Hope your doing good.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home