Monday, May 21, 2007

Pure utter gibberish because I have nothing constructive to say

So yes, it has occurred to me that I have neglected this blog. I would like
to say that I have a good reason but really the simple fact has been that
I've been incredibly lazy. For some reason, at this moment, my favourite
thing to use my laptop for has been to watch Wesley Snipes movies. I
recently signed up to Video Ezy and so have been searching the shelves for
Wesley Snipes. And for goodness sake - I don't even know why I like Wesley
Snipes. Except he is extremely good looking which I'm using as a sufficient
reason to love him. He also reminds me of my dad which is strange because my
dad in no way resembles Wesley Snipes and as far as I know doesn't fight
vampires.



I recently made the trip back to Rockhampton (and by recently, I mean maybe
a month ago?) and got to see all a few of my rellies at my cousin's 21st
birthday bash. It was there that I got to talking with my dad, my nanny and
my Uncle Lou (who is my nanny's brother) and discovered that I have become
really obsessed with learning about family history. I was visiting my nanny
with my dad and the subject just turned to family and I started learning all
these things that I had no idea about.

So out of that experience was born a dream of mine to write a book about
South Sea Island and Aboriginal youth growing up in "Kanaka Town" in
Rockhampton. Apparently right next to Kanaka Town was a Darumbal camp so I
found that incredibly interesting. The book is in it's research stages and I
have been frequenting the library on the weekends to try and make a rough
sketch of what it is going to be about. I recently discovered an amazing
resource in Canberra - the National Library of Australia. Those who knew me
in my uni days (approximately a year ago) will know that I was kind of
obsessed with the university library. I feel a certain obsession rising for
the NLA. It's absolutely amazing and has so many resources. It's definitely
my favourite place in Canberra at the moment.

I think it's very important to chronicle history before it is too late and
the ones' who hold the knowledge pass away. I know a lot of information has
already been lost because it wasn't handed down and so I want to stop that.
I also think it's important for everyone to know where they came from. Most
people I know do have a faint idea of their family histories. People love to
brag about being English or Scottish or Irish or Transylvanian or whatever
they are but few actually bother to find out anything more than the
exterior.

Yes - so that has been my main focus of late. I also took my sister to the
Beyonce Knowles concert in Brisbane last month - it was awesome and we also
got to see the very delightful Chris Brown perform! I didn't realize how much i liked Beyonce until i saw her perform in the flesh. I also really adore
Brisbane. It's so easy to get around with the train system being the way it
is.



So what else? Seriously - it has been very boring. Right now I prefer to
spend my weekends at the library or watching movies. It's such a change from
when I always wanted to be going out!

The big excitement in my life is I'm going to meet my dad in Sydney in two
weeks for his birthday. Mum really went out big time for his present and
we're going to see Uruguay play the Socceroos. For those in the know -
Uruguay was the team the Socceroos beat to get into the world cup. So I'm
guessing there will be some old grudges that may eventuate into a really
interesting and hopefully scandalous match. We have seats high up in the
stands but I think it'll be good cause we get a full view of the game.

My sister is going to Papua New Guinea in September to walk the Kokoda Trail
and feels the need to remind me every time I talk to her. This will be the
first time she goes overseas without me so she's rubbing it in my face
because I always wanted to touch down in PNG before her. I've been wanting
to go to PNG for ages :( But haha - she'll be the one sweating it up on that
Kokoda Trail - when I go I'm not going to be hiking over mountains. Because
that's what motor vehicles were made for :P I know...I'm not a true Greenie
even though I vote for them.



Can anyone believe it is nearly halfway through the year? I feel as if 2007
only just started and it's May already. I wish it was Christmas all year
round.

I saw the movie "Madame Sata" on the weekend -it translates to "Madam
Satan". If you couldn't watch Brokeback Mountain do not see this movie! The
gay sex scenes are very explicit, so much that I had to complete skip a
whole scene - but that shouldn't turn you off it because it is an absolutely
amazing movie. It's basically about this self confessed "outlaw" living in
Rio de Janero. It's based on the true story of Joao Francisco, a black
homosexual man who becomes the flamboyant drag queen Madame Sata. Believe me
- it is both beautiful and ugly but incredibly amazing. The actors are
definitely deserving of all the Oscars ever won by those untalented American
wannabes through the ages (with the exception of Denzel Washington)


Jose aka Madame Sata and Tabu

The main actor who plays Jose - Lazaro Romero- is definitely one of my
favourite actors right now just from this film. But I was mostly impressed
by the man who played Tabu - Flavio Bauraqui. Tabu is this incredibly
feminine male prostitute and the way in which he acts is so perfect that I
thought the actor must have been like that as well. While I was watching the
special features and saw the interview with Flavio Bauraqui I was blown away
because even though he had the same face ­ it was amazing how he had
transformed himself in every way into this character. He¹s just beautiful to
watch.



The only criticism I have of this movie is it doesn¹t concentrate enough on
Madam Sata. It is solely about Jose. I mean ­ I really liked the fact they
delved into his character but I wanted to see more of him as Madam Sata
because I thought that¹s what really brought the movie into it¹s greatness.
But all in all I recommend it to everyone. Another point that I wanted to
put in about Lacaro Romero was I didn¹t realize he was so young in the film.
He plays this mature, street wise character but you completely forgot that
in real life he¹s only about 22. I thought that was amazing and a great
credit to him as an actor.

This movie also reminded me of a Spanish one i watched called Bad Education or La Mala Educacion. It has Gael García Bernal in it and is equally as good. It's really complicated and one you have to watch right from the start to finish. So go see it. I'm too slack to write about it now!

Luv
ME

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Mrs. Amy Dark Hair!

First things first, I admire your ambitions regarding the preservation of history. When I see something that could be preserved just wasting away, I are always feel sad.

Second things second, it's interesting that Hazzamacca wants to go on the Kokoda Trail. Are you impressed or indifferent or both? Haha, I can just imagine her rubbing the whole PNG thing in your face and you being annoyed about it. :-P

Third things third, Wesley Snipes? Not that he's bad or anything, I haven't actually really seen any of his movies; in fact I tend to mix him up with Vin Diesel. You really are a dark horse, aren't you? :-P

May 21, 2007 at 10:39 PM  
Blogger Finbarpurpleton said...

Hi Amy,

I feel the same way about history. I am sure that my grandparents have heaps of stories I could listen to, but I never thought to ask.

Wesley Snipes I never knew you liked him? Have you seen Passenger 57? I watched that movie before I came to Australia it made me scared to fly. I also saw Demolition Man as the bad guy Simon Phoenix, which he did a good job of.

Melissa

May 23, 2007 at 4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home