Monday, February 12, 2007

Lakposhtha hâm parvaz mikonand (2004)



In other words…the English title to this film is “Turtles Can Fly”.

If you have never seen anything the rest of the world has to offer and if you want to definitely get away from the superficial, I recommend you see this movie. If you want to feel better about your life, I recommend you see this movie. If you want to see a different, more human side of the war in Iraq, I recommend you see this movie. If you want to see a movie that makes you laugh one second and then abruptly turns and makes you cry, I recommend you see this movie. Basically, what I’m trying to say is….I recommend you see this movie.

When you watch this movie you love and hate humanity at the same time. You see the terrible consequences of war but at the same time you see an inner strength in the victims of war. The film is set in the days prior to American invasion in Iraq and tells the tale through the eyes of children living in a small village in Iraq. The charming Satellite (Soran Ebrahim) has taken command of a group of children and runs a sort of business in which he sells explosives and disarms minefields. He takes on such an adult role and becomes very important as the community strives to secure a satellite dish – which only he can provide through his small profit made in arms dealing. You almost forget his age and I would have if it wasn’t for the fact that he looks like an eleven year old boy even though he doesn’t act like one. The story starts when three children from a neighbouring village show up – a brother - Henkov (Hirsh Feyssal), who has been mutilated, has no arms and can see the future; his pre teen sister Agin (Avaz Latif) and her young son, who was a result of a gang rape. Agin is incredibly ashamed of her son and the siblings attempt to hide the truth. But Agin loathes him so much she tries to kill him several times.

I don’t think I could ever do this film justice because it is just so real. It was a result of the director, Bahman Ghobabi’s own experiences in post-Saddam Iraq. He has captured the implications of war so hauntingly that it at the end you sit and literally feel emotionally drained. Every time one of the children appeared on the screen I just wanted to pick them up and give them a big cuddle because you know there are kids out there who are just like them – who have lost their childhood to something that they couldn’t help. It’s incredibly sad and you get caught in a conundrum – what can I do? What am I supposed to do? You brinker between feeling a sensational guilt to an overwhelming humility. It is one of those rare films you could watch over and over and still acquire new emotions you never thought you had.

It can only be described as a must see film. Regardless of your political persuasions, this film will touch anyone.

Click here for a much better review in greater depth

And sorry to change the subject so greatly but i have to say it...Chavez is great. I don't believe he is a dictator, contrary to claims by the opposition and the US. In the last Venezualan federal election he was voted in by an overwhelming 63 % and has been a champion for the underclass. The reason the U.S. is trying to turn people anti-Chavez is because he is using the country's wealth (oil anyone?) to help the poor. Like a modern day Robin Hood..only who doesn't look so good in tights.
I know i shouldn't be sourcing a radical left newspaper but look at this great comment piece in the Green Left Weekly. I've researched Hugo Chavez quite a bit and although I don't agree with communism and Cuba's Castro (although i certainly rate him higher than George W. Bush), i definately agree with Chavez on a lot of things. And I never praise politicians but this guy is the exception.


Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

Good to see you are still here. :)

Who is Amy?? ;))

February 12, 2007 at 9:57 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

AMY,

So very nice to see you. :)))))

I am just living and doing the best i can. yes, it feels awesome. :)

Glad to know that the post conveyed the message.

How have you been??

PS: Who/what is Tohou??

February 13, 2007 at 8:27 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 13, 2007 at 8:27 PM  
Blogger vinay said...

i love Chavez too!!!i admire Fidel too!!! and yes..iraq is the prelude of the things to come in future!!! the war for oil!!!!and yes i would watch that movie....

February 13, 2007 at 9:36 PM  
Blogger Lidia said...

Alex- :)

Vinay - I know! I was scared to say i even liked Castro because the next thing i know i could be a labelled a communist :) haha...probably not realistic but i can never take my chances!

February 14, 2007 at 6:29 AM  
Blogger mathew said...

nowadays for me anyone who has the bones to stand against the US is admirable...big fan of Che and his ilk!!!

February 14, 2007 at 9:04 AM  
Blogger vinay said...

actually i dont bother whether i am labelled a communist...socialist or a capitalist!!! as long as whoever you are..whatever ideology you folow...you dont harm others and try to help others in watever way u can...they dont bother!!!!i read an article other day in "The Hindu" about the innumerable murder attempts on Fidel!!! some of them were ingenious!! this movie not released in india!!!shucks!!!kinda movie i would love!!!after babel...

February 14, 2007 at 3:44 PM  
Blogger Lidia said...

Mathew: Totally absolutely agree 100%!

Vinay: Haha i'd like to read the murder attempts! Sounds interesting - i'll have to look up the article one day :) Yes, i don't even know what i label myself cause i believe in so many things! Probably incredibly left winged would be one of them!

February 14, 2007 at 5:50 PM  
Blogger vinay said...

am not a capiltalist..or a communist.. i am an altruist!!!hehehe

February 14, 2007 at 7:18 PM  
Blogger Ganesh Ranganathan said...

I absolutely detest communism...i blogged about it too..

http://ganesh2006.blogspot.com/2006/06/communismbullshit_04.html

But I like Chavez too. He has the guts to withstand Bullying by the US when the politicians of most other countries are kowtowing to Bush

February 17, 2007 at 9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home